Thursday, December 29, 2011

Last Painting Of the Year


2011, you've been a pretty good year. And art wise I feel I've grown a lot this past year. So here's hoping that 2012 will be even better!

This painting was inspired by the blog of two of my favorite artists, Emily Carroll and Vera Brosgol, called Fashion From Old People. On their blog they create paintings inspired by vintage fashion they find online. Being that I ADORE fashion from throughout the ages I found this process to be very inspiring for me as well.

The coloring for this one was definitely an experiment for me (as you can probably tell from watching the video). When I draw I tend to draw with the intention of being flat, but when I paint I lean heavily on 3D rendering and struggle to keep it simple. I feel just a plain flat color doesn't work for me and always winds up looking plain so I try to add texture (usually water color or paper). Anywho, that's one of my goals with this painting journal is to find a quick flat painting look that works for me. Hopefully I will find that in the new year!

Original Sketch

Progress Video


4 comments:

Nicole Album said...

LOVE this!

Rachel McAlister said...

Thanks!!

Vince Vassallo said...

This is beautiful. I'm liking your design/painting style. Great blog too:)

Rachel McAlister said...

Thank you very much!!

Your blog is pretty awesome too!