Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Baskets Guns and Groovy Beats

By now I was about half way through the semester and I'd pretty much found a way of drawing that working for me and that I was comfortable with. 20 minutes was now not even an issue and I often had extra time leftover to add extra shadows and details. By this time I was in a pretty happy spot with figure drawing.

newsprint, charcoal
This workshop was probably my most difficult workshop. It was one of the two workshops I went to to try and get a drawing for my midterm and I had a lot of difficulty with such heavily draped clothing on such a teeny tiny frame. Plus the model got hot so we placed a fan on her which made the darned fabric fly all about her legs and chest where it was loose. I got a couple drawings from this session but definitely nothing I wanted to use for my midterm.

newsprint, charcoal
In order to get people to focus on the figure more my workshop instructor had the model hold these two giant distracting baskets and made us draw the figure first with no baskets. Then once we had that down we could add the baskets in. Although it was very frustrating being pulled out of my now regular routine I appreciated the exercise. Especially since we have many models in the workshop draped in props, which can sometimes become so distracting you screw up the figure trying to bend it to the props.

newsprint, charcoal
Men and guns are pretty high on my difficult things to draw list and on my second workshop to get a midterm drawing in walked this guy completely decked out in guns and military gear. It turned out WAY better than I expected but it was another very difficult session at a stressful time. The previous week's lesson on seeing the figure without distractions was very helpful this week.

newsprint, charcoal
This wound up being the drawing I handed in for the midterm. I was critiqued for maybe making the legs a little too long and although my instructor liked the affect of leaving the foot in the background looser and less defined he wished it had a little bit more line and detail to it. But I still received an A- which was a huge relief since I thought my teacher was the type to never give out A's due to a speech he gave earlier in the semester.

newsprint, charcoal
I was pretty proud of the gun shape here. I know it's not perfect but for me it is really good. My workshop instructor told me I was imagining things and that I needed to step back from my drawing more but I thought the arms looked too long. I still don't like to get up and look at my drawing from farther away very often (I get too focused on just drawing it) but I still think his arms are too long...

newsprint, charcoal

newsprint, charcoal
This is our only model in our class to bring music to play while we drew. It was on some radio station that played old Michael Jackson and other old groovy tunes but he kept falling asleep during every pose. But I found his face and belly shape interesting to draw.

newsprint, charcoal

newsprint, charcoal
Finally he wound up taking a nap for about 30 minutes till we made enough noise trying to politely get his attention and he woke up. A little extra practice for us I guess.



No comments: